Parents and Teachers,
Last year Wheeler was awarded the most positive school for Cobb County. We are honored by this award and energized by the recognition. It’s very easy to nominate a student or coach and leaves a lasting impression. Anyone can make a nomination. It’s takes about 5 minutes. All we ask is that you share specific details about the positive athlete you are nominating. Click on the link at the bottom to make your nomination. Our updated nominee list is at the bottom of this email.
What Is Positive Athlete Georgia?
Positive Athlete Georgia is a movement by high-character professional athletes tied to Georgia professional and collegiate sports teams to promote the benefits of “positivity” to young athletes. These athletes believe it is crucial to begin shaping the futures of young athletes for life skills beyond athletic competition and to learn how to give back to their community. Current and former professional athletes are members of this organization, and high school athletes will be invited to join based on being nominated by a coach, school administrator, parent or fan for the annual Georgia Positive High School Athlete Awards. Our Facebook page is designed to celebrate nominees and new members of the organization.
Seven Definitions of a Positive Athlete:
- Optimistic Attitude—Most coaches will tell you that an athlete who believes positive things will happen has a greater chance for success.
- Encouraging Teammate—In every sport, teammates are going to experience some kind of failure. Positive Athletes are the first ones to encourage them.
- Servant Leader—Positive Athletes do not think about being the “stars of the team.” They lead through serving others first and by setting an example.
- Heart for Others—Many athletes are blessed with gifts that many others are not. The Positive Athlete seeks to help the less gifted or fortunate.
- Admits Imperfections—This is Positive Athlete…not Perfect Athlete. Athletes willing to admit they make mistakes gain the respect of teammates and fans.
- Always Gives 100%—Not every athletic competition goes as planned, but a Positive Athlete always gives 100% no matter what the scoreboard says.
- Puts Team First—There are times when personal achievement may hurt the team’s goal. Positive Athletes choose their team.
The Positive Athlete brand was created to remind all athletes that it’s “cool to be positive.” It also creates opportunities for local companies to participate in the movement.
Wheeler Athletics recognized by Positive Athlete GA…
2014 Most Positive School – Cobb County
2015 Most Positive School – Cobb County
2015 Most Positive School – Georgia
2016 Most Positive School – Cobb County